In this article, we will talk about Change download’s location. On the primary disc, all of our PCs have a default download location. The operating system is stored on the primary disc. However, as time goes on, the drive begins to fill up. Low primary drive storage might result in issues such as the PC running slowly, the inability to install Windows updates, or a lack of space for other downloads.
As a result, it’s preferable to relocate the download to a new partition or drive. This can be accomplished by altering Windows’ default download location and browser download paths. Check out the steps below and complete them on your PC at the same time. The download site will have changed by the time you finish reading this article.
Change default download’s location
In Windows, you can change the default download location
In Windows, the default download location is on the C disc.
C:\Users\YourUserName\Downloads. We can, however, change the default destination or specify which sorts of files should be downloaded to a specific location.
It’s important to remember that altering the download location will not protect you from viruses. Safe downloads must still be approached with caution. Check out the options below to change your default download location and adapt them to your needs.
Make use of the Windows Options
The instructions outlined below apply to both Windows 10 and Windows 11. Remember that this option will need the usage of numerous drives/partitions. We can save files in different locations depending on their nature. This feature is accessed through the Windows settings menu. The following files’ download location can be chosen.
- Apps \sDocuments \sMusic \sPictures \sVideos \sMaps
- To make these modifications, follow the procedures below:
- Search for/select Settings by using the Windows Key.
- Select System> Storage from the drop-down menu.
- Select Advanced Storage Options or Additional Storage Options (whichever shows up)
- Select “Where new content is saved” from the drop-down menu.
- A drop-down menu will display. Choose the Change download’s location for your apps, documents, music, images, videos, and maps.
Using the Properties menu, change the download path
It is possible to move the download folder’s entire location from one drive to another. This means you can create separate download folders for the operating system on primary drives or move it to a secondary drive on your computer.
To get it done, follow the instructions below:
- Open the File Explorer programme.
- On the left panel, locate the download folder and right-click to select properties.
- A pop-up window will appear; select the location tab.
- Select Move.
- Select the folder in which you want future downloads to be saved and click the select folder button.
- Apply should be selected.
A new pop-up will appear, asking you to confirm that you want to move previously downloaded files to this new location. Yes is the option to choose.
On the download properties pop-up, select OK.
Manually entering the path may be difficult. Select copy as the path when right-clicking on the folder you want to use as the download folder. Simply paste it as needed. If you ever want to alter it back to how it was, repeat the steps above, but instead of moving, press Restore Defaults and click Apply and OK.
Browser Download Locations Can Be Changed
The method for altering the download location of the most popular browsers currently on the market has been compiled. Don’t worry if you’re using a different browser; the method is the same. All you have to do is look in your browser’s settings for the download settings. Once you’ve found it, all browsers will give you the opportunity to modify where downloads are saved.
Users will have numerous options in their browsers to make modifications, cancel downloads, and so on. Most problems can be handled by making minor adjustments to these settings. Check out some of the browser examples below to understand how to change the download location of any browser downloads.
Change the location of Microsoft Edge’s downloads
- Microsoft Edge is now open.
- In the address bar, type the following:
- Under the location section, select Change.
- Change the download location in Microsoft Edge
- Click Select Folder to choose the folder where Edge downloads will be saved.
Change Firefox’s Download Location
Open Mozilla Firefox or Firefox Nightly, whichever you want. To open the application menu in the upper right corner, select the three-line button. Select Settings from the General menu, then scroll down to Files and Applications to find Downloads. A “save files to” section will appear. Select Browse. Select the folder in which you want the Firefox downloads to be saved, then press select folder.
Change Google Chrome’s Download Location
- Google Chrome should now be open.
- In your browser’s address box, type chrome:/settings/downloads.
- Change the location by clicking on it.
- Select the folder in which you want your chrome downloads to be saved and press select folder.
Change Opera’s Download Location
- Launch the Opera web browser.
- Click the settings icon on the left panel.
- Select Advanced > Browser when the options screen appears.
- Look for a section titled Downloads.
- Under the location section, select Change.
- Select the folder where Opera downloads should be saved and click Select Folder.
Change Brave’s Download Location
- Launch the Brave Browser.
- Click the three-lined “Customize and Control Brave” button in the top right-hand corner.
- Choose the choice for Settings.
- Select Downloads from the left panel’s Additional options.
- Select Change under Location once the download area has opened.
- Select the folder where the Brave downloads should be saved and then click Select Folder.
Question Frequently Asked
Is Microsoft Apps Affected by the Change in Default Download Location?
Yes! Because we download apps through the Microsoft Store, the option to change the download location through Windows settings will apply. In the area “where content is saved,” there is a section dedicated to Apps. If you alter the location of future Microsoft Store downloads in the Apps section, they will be saved to the specified drive.